CONTACT INFO

Contact Mike at: whacksmuseum@yahoo.com



Thursday, July 22, 2010

GHOSTLY FUN & SPOOKY TRICKS


It was having ordered books such as these that would make me run to school in anticipation of their arrival. Tells you how exciting my life was then if that’s all I had to look forward to.

Anyone remember “The Weekly Reader” from your elementary school days? Sometimes there would be a book order form included with it from the “Scholastic Book Services”.

One of the few things my Mom and I shared a passion for was reading. Therefore, she let me order whatever books I wanted. Of course, back in those days, most of the Scholastic books were running anywhere from 35 cents to no more than 60 cents. Three/Four bucks got you PLENTY o’ books.

I was sure then that the folks at Scholastic, when they saw my order form, would say, “Hey, this Michael Madonna kid sure looks important; let’s get these books out to him right away!”. Oh well, at least it was a reason to get excited about going to school.

Even then, I had a fascination with magic tricks and Halloween things, so GHOSTLY FUN and SPOOKY TRICKS were right up my alley. I had more than just those two, but cannot recall any specific ones at the moment. I probably lost more than a few books there in class to my teachers, because it was hard for me to put them down and pay attention to what was being taught.

My third grade teacher, Mrs. Messersmith, took my copy of the book THE WONDERFUL FLIGHT TO THE MUSHROOM PLANET from me because I was more interested in it than in what she was saying. Seems to me that that was HER fault; she should have been more fascinating than the book. She wasn’t.

She never gave the book back, but I got even with Mrs. Messersmith, though; I didn’t learn ANYTHING for the rest of that day. Sure showed her.

I hope your great grandkids are enjoying my copy of THE WONDERFUL FLIGHT TO THE MUSHROOM PLANET now, Mrs. Messersmith. I found another copy of it years later – plus the sequel – so who’s got the last laugh now, Toots?

1 comment:

  1. Funny you should mention "Mushroom Planet," because I enjoyed that book a lot in grade school. I still have it! I'll read it to my grandson sometime soon.

    I have just created a post on it here: http://fantasticflashbacks.blogspot.com/2010/08/wonderful-flight-to-mushroom-planet.html

    It was originally on the Monster Memories blog but since creating this one I realise it fits there better.

    Thanks for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete